I have mixed feelings at the end of my surgical rotation. It's probably my last chance in having any experience with surgery...not that I want anymore :p
To be honest, I didn't learn much in terms of surgical skills. I still don't know how to tie a surgical knot. I haven't cut open a patient. In the theatre, I am more like a secondary surgical instrument that can hold the primary surgical instrument. 99.9% of the time, I am more useless than any theatre nurse or technician.
What I learnt was every pt needs DVT prophylaxis, regular medicine, and analgesia charted. I learnt that it's ok not knowing how to manage medical problems because the med reg is just a referral away. I learnt that I have to run everything past my registrar, so I don't normally have to use my brain. I just need to do what I was told, and I don't have to do anything extra.
It's not good learning, but I don't really mind as long as I get paid.
During this rotation, I realised how great my co-interns are. We looked after each other and we survived together. I will miss the very nice registrars. Times when my reg said "let's go makan." and the free coffee I got from them. I will also miss the super nurses on my ward who will actually take blood and do blood culture.
My surgical rotation is a positive experience. I will miss the people of my ward just like I miss the people in Bairnsdale.
Saturday, June 2, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 把轻声细语:
how i wish i have nurses who will take bloods for me.....
Post a Comment